Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Clara's 4th Birthday, 2008

When we asked Clara what she wanted to do for her birthday party she said she wanted to have it at the nursing home with Oma and Opa. We were kind of surprised but went along with their decision. We kept asking her the weeks before her birthday and the answer remained the same. Soooo...we started planning her birthday party at the nursing home in Reinbeck, IA. My grandma, grandpa, and great aunt Marlys live there. The only thing we can figure out is that she remembers all the parties we have had at the nursing home. Every Thanksgiving we take food into the grandparents and Maryls, we take cake in for their birthdays, and so on. We think Clara just decided that is where all the parties happen. We had a fun day. It all started out with a trip to Caseys with Opa to get her favorite breakfast-a donut! Then they came back to the farm to get ready for the big party. Oma and Opa decorated the nursing home with balloons and streamers. Opa bought Clara's favorite lunch of cheese pizza and pop. She had a beautiful Hello kitty cake picked out from Target, but they forgot to make it. So, Clara picked out another sheet cake(it looked like a wedding cake) and we put the Hello Kitty bubble blowing kit and rings on top. I think that is all she really cared about. She was such a great sport throughout all the cake confusion. I thought we were going to have a major breakdown in Target, but she didn't mind at all. She loved the pretty flowers on the other cake she picked out. Of course she was so full from the pizza I don't even think she touched the cake. For her birthday she received a digital camera, American Girl Doll table, pajamas, and a water bottle. What a fun day! Then we drove back to Rochester that afternoon while the girls slept the entire way. They were pooped! I can't believe my little Clara is 4:)

6 comments:

Jenni said...

What a special way to celebrate her birthday. You have such beautiful, sweet girls.

Janee said...

Clara is such a sweet little girl. I love her idea for her birthday party. So cute. I like your new background. I am always changing mine and love to see when someone has changed theirs.

Sarah said...

Abel and I really enjoyed seeing all the pictures of your family. It's such a bummer it will be 2 more weeks until we see you.
Tell J.G. I liked his facial hair.

Sarah said...

It was so sweet of Clara to have her party at the nursing home. It's evidence of what a sweet girl Clara is, as well as how JG and you always take such good care of your families.

Jen said...

What a thoughtful little girl. That amazes me when kids that young are aware of special things like that. So so sweet.

What a sport for not throwing a fit about her cake. Mylee would have been fine, but Owen would have had a melt down so bad, he would have Melted right in to the floor. Happy Birthday little Clara!

Lydia said...

What a cutie! Happy Birthday, Clara!

Ya Ya

Ya Ya
She fits perfectly!