Double Mastectomy with lymph node dissection on L side
I don't have any pictures of the last few weeks. The surgery went really well, actually better than expected. The doctors were able to perform a skin and nipple sparing mastectomy. This was exciting because I didn't know what I would see when I woke up from anesthesia. They send everything to pathology and if there is any chance they see any cancer cells under the nipple they remove them. We received the best results ever! My pathology came back with a full response from the chemotherapy! There wasn't any sign of cancer anywhere. They could see where the chemotherapy killed and shrunk the cancer but no living tumors anywhere! We are so thrilled!!
My healing has been slow. I came home from the hospital with 3 drains. One week later they took out one, just on Thursday they took out one more. I still have one drain and it is a pain. With the drain in I can't raise my arm higher than 90*. It is still draining quite a lot so it might be awhile before I get it removed. The longest they will let it stay in is 4 weeks. At least I know I will get it out by March 7th. I can't lift, push or pull anything for 6 weeks so I have a ways to go.
I started physical therapy yesterday. The girls who is helping me, Sara O.T., is awesome!! To start radiation I have to be able to hold my arms above my head for 45 min. Right now I cant get my hands above 90* so I have some work to do. She gave me some great exercises to work on and called Ella in to be my assistant. She is a great helper. I am lucky to have her!
Now, in regards to radiation. I will need radiation. We have decided to do the Proton beam radiation. This seems to have less dose risk to my heart. I have chosen to do a study. The study has two arms. One arm is 3 weeks with a slightly higher dose daily or 5 weeks at the standard dose. We will find out when I go for simulation on March 21st which arm I will have. I will then start radiation the first week of April.
We feel very blessed with everything that has happened this month. Thank you for all the prayers, fasting, support, and love in our behalf. I have had many friends stop by to visit which has helped me a lot! Especially because I have been home bound so much. My mom has been here since surgery and we don't know what we would have done without her! Also, many meals have been brought our way which has been so helpful. 💕
Saturday, February 25, 2017
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Ya Ya
She fits perfectly!
1 comment:
This sounds like it has been a very blessed and challenging journey. We are praying for you and your beautiful family!
Post a Comment